Easy Scallops With Spinach and Zucchini
I am not a fancy chef by any means but somehow you add scallops in your recipe, and it just feels like you’re a fancy chef. And that’s a good feeling when most of the time, I think my cooking is rather average. This dish is super easy and fast to make, not to mention it is healthy! Did you know that 3 scallops is only 100 calories??? Score!
* 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil or Cooking Oil
* 2 Garlic Cloves
* 1 Pound Baby Spinach
* 1 Pound Zucchini (about 4 medium)
* 1 Tablespoon Butter
* 6-8 Costco Frozen Jumbo Scallops (of course you can buy fresh ones, but these frozen ones are convenient to have on hand and are still tasty!)
* salt, seasoning salt, and pepper to taste
Serving Size: 2
1) Defrost the scallops in a bowl of cold water. Replace the water every 2-3 minutes for about 7-8 minutes. When the scallops are defrosted, remove them from the water and place them on a dry paper towel. Pat the scallops dry.
2) While the scallops are defrosting, start peeling the zucchini and cut into thin, round slices. Set aside.
3) Mince the garlic cloves and set aside.
4) Heat a large pan or wok on medium-high heat and add 1 Tablespoon oil. Wait about 30 seconds for the oil to heat up.
5) Add the zucchini slices and saute for about 7 minutes or until soft but not soggy. Add salt to taste. Remove zucchini into a bowl and set aside.
6) Add the other Tablespoon of oil into the same pan and the minced garlic. Saute about 15 seconds, then add the spinach leaves and saute for 4-5 minutes or until juices start to come out. Add salt to taste then turn off heat.
7) Remove half the spinach leaves into the center of a serving plate/bowl. Arrange zucchini slices around the spinach for a nice optional presentation.
8) Turn stove to medium-high heat again and add 1 Tablespoon of butter, letting it melt evenly around the pan.
9) Carefully place each scallop on the wok, making sure that the scallops are not touching each other and you do not touch the scallop after you put it down. Let it sit for 2 1/2 minutes.
10) Use tongs to gently turn over each scallop, again not touching or moving other scallops. Cook for another 2 minutes as you add a pinch of seasoning salt and a generous amount of pepper on each individual scallop. Do not overcook the scallops – they should be on the stove for no more than 5 minutes!
11) Remove scallops and place them on top of the bed of spinach leaves. Enjoy right away!